Once upon a time there was...
In 1279 a period of great struggle
began between the Bishop and the Commune of Rimini regarding
the dominion of the castles in that territory. Thus
Monteleone passed into the hands of The Malatesta
until 1335, when Francesco Ordelaffi
took possession. He was followed - in turn - by Nolfo
da Montefeltro three years later, as the new
In 1358, it submitted totally to the power of the Pontificial
State, although in 1433 we find Monteleone
once again in the hands of the 8th Lord of Rimini,
the great patron of the art, Sigismondo Pandolfo,
who relinquished it to Ramberto, count Giaggiolo,
in exchange for a gaming Sparrow-hawk a year.
On his death, around 1448, the feud returned
to the Church until 1465, when Pope Paul IInd
conceded it to Gotfried of the Isei.
In 1485, it returned to the Archibishopry of Ravenna,
in the figure of Filasio Roverella of Cesena, who gave
it in feud to his family, in which it remained until
1745. The powerful Roverellas enlarged and enhanced
the castle and by 1734 it had literally lost any military
pretence having being transformed into a country manor.
In 1748 due to a lack of male heir, the feud passed
as part of her dowry to Attilia Roverella’s husband,
count Ignazio Guiccioli of Ravenna.
In the Guiccioli family, count Alexander had earned
himself the esteem of Napoleon, and
was thus, nominated President of the central administration
of Emilia, by the French emperor in 1797.
Having become “Gran Maestro della Carboneria”,
the count in 1817 enrolled the English
Lord and poet George Byron into the society.
The latter was the lover of Teresa Gamba - third wife
of count Guiccioli- and many poetic verses were often
dedicated to her. In fact Monteleone was visited by
Byron, to whom the village square is dedicated.
Presumably the castle was the seat of frequent Carbonari
At the present time
the castle and its estate belong to The Volpe
Counts, descendents of the famous Medieval
expert and historian Gioacchino Volpe.
Restored and tastefully furnished, it is often a subject
of study for architects and castle experts interested
in researching the different stages of development,
the additions and modifications made throughout the
Numerous, the illustrious guests, wether of Royal blood,
intellectuals or creative artists, who have stayed in
the castle at Monteleone.
Figures like Cristoforo Serra, the
painter, commissioned for a few decades during the XVIIth
century, to preside over the castle as captain of the
Militia; the already quoted Byron, the opera singer
Lina Pagliughi , princess Margaret of England and many